Thursday, August 22, 2013

When Betty Wears Prada....

After dedicating an entire page as an introduction (Tiring indeed!) now I’m dying to share two of my greatest interests… films and TV. (Seriously! That’s why it took me almost a year to write down another page!!)
Ever since films became a serious business for me there was always so much selection about which one to watch and which one not! Which one to repeat and which one to be done with one watch! One such film I would never ever get tired of watching time and again is The Devil Wears Prada.

Yes! It’s a film I was dangerously obsessed with ever since I watched it, I still am. And the obsession just got stronger and stronger when I started reading the same book written by Lauren Weisberger. Though the book dint get another reading, the film has been watched number of times till now and is yet to be watched tons of times more.

While love for films was in born, for TV shows especially American Television is something I have to thank my friend/s for. About TV shows, sitcoms it was always a recommendation by a friend that came handy in developing a taste for it. I haven’t watched more than a handful of them but whichever I did, I just fell in love with and the one that tops the list is Ugly Betty.

I had hardly followed American TV before this one. (Friends fans, excuse me!) But this one just opened a whole new world for me. I was just wowed by everything in the show… Its colourful & witty characters, the magazine world, high fashion drama, its flamboyance, its queerness and on the top of it, dripping sarcasm and hauteur wickedness. The show was so me in so many ways. I dint just loved the show, I lived it. I was living in Queens, working at Mode, eating Betty’s stolen bagel and strolling on the high fashion streets of Manhattan. Yes, this much was the obsession with the show.

Ugly Betty is strikingly similar to earlier released The Devil Wears Prada, not just in terms of story but characters, locations etc. Both have been made from different sources though. I always tried  to relate, compare these two but found it hard to decide which one is better. I couldn't decide whether I love Betty more than Andy or if I hate Miranda more than Wilhelmina. It was always a tough call.

I wished they made another couple of seasons of Ugly Betty, it was really hard to say goodbye to my most loved show ever. I couldn't hold back my tears in the climax scene of the season 4 finale. Also I hope they make The Devil Wears Prada sequel. This one is quite realistic. With the recent launch of the sequel to the book, that hope is riding high. Excited like anything just with the thought of meeting the trio of Miranda, Andrea and Emily once again but in entirely new segment.

No comments: